UPDATE: Celebrate #GivingTuesday by making a tax-deductible donation to the League now.
We have a day for giving thanks... we have Black Friday and Cyber Monday two-for-one deals… and we have #GivingTuesday for giving back to the community!
#GivingTuesday is an annual campaign created to promote a national day of giving at the start of the holiday season. Taking place the Tuesday after Thanksgiving – and subsequently after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday – #GivingTuesday celebrates and encourages charitable activities to support nonprofit organizations like the League. This unofficial holiday is an initiative that began in 2012 to help change the conversation about holiday spending.
This year, the League will participate in the second annual #GivingTuesday campaign on December 3, 2013. In the same way that retail stores come together to offer deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday brings the nonprofit community together on a universal platform to raise awareness about the importance of supporting our valuable missions and work.
As we prepare for #GivingTuesday and reflect on our work, here’s a small snapshot of just some of what the League has been up to this year:
- While the League has been working to protect voting rights for over 90 years, this summer’s Supreme Court ruling against the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (VRA) has put our work into overdrive. Leagues across the country are involved in lawsuits regarding voter suppression measures, such as the League of Women Voters of North Carolina’s lawsuit in North Carolina, and we continue to push for Congress and the U.S. Department of Justice to protect our democracy and restore the VRA to its full effectiveness.
- With the aide of nearly 300 local Leagues and a total of over 800 partners, nearly 55,000 voters and counting were registered during the second annual National Voter Registration Day. We also continue our year-round work of educating and informing voters through VOTE411.org, our “one-stop-shop" for election related info, as well as the hundreds of debates and candidate forums state and local Leagues hold on their state and local elections.
- We successfully pushed for President Obama to take the lead to protect our climate and work to reduce carbon pollution, a move that will protect our children, our nation and the world at large. Our work to protect our climate included campaigning and testifying against the Keystone XL pipeline.
- We’ve continued to promote our long-standing position in support of gun control, including urging Washington to help put a stop to gun violence and the League of Women Voters of Connecticut helped lead the effort to pass landmark state gun control legislation in Connecticut.
- We filed an amicus brief in McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission (FEC), a Supreme Court case that’s crucial to protecting our political system from big-money corruption.
The League and League members across the country will continue to do everything in their power to make democracy work, but the fight requires the help of all community members. #GivingTuesday is propelled by those who believe that passion and commitment can make a difference. On December 3rd, we ask that you think of the League as you reflect on the need to strengthen our country and our great democracy.
Pledge to support the League on #GivingTuesday and we’ll send you a reminder email and online donation form on #GivingTuesday – December 3.