The Senate Judiciary Committee is taking the first steps to move legislation on immigration reform to the Senate floor. The committee is considering hundreds of amendments to S. 744, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013.
There has been vigorous debate from both sides of the aisle on workers’ rights, border security and establishing a path to citizenship for aspiring Americans. The debate on this legislation will continue in the coming weeks and months, but now is the time for you to add your voice. Tell your Senators that you support comprehensive immigration reform.
The League believes that comprehensive immigration reform will strengthen our nation and society. Comprehensive immigration reform must:
• Provide a path to citizenship for undocumented persons;
• Promote reunification of families;
• Meet economic business and employment needs of the U.S.;
• Improve safeguards against illegal immigration;
• Provide due process for all persons including the right to a fair hearing.
Thank your Senators for addressing the crucial issue of immigration reform. Urge them to allow immigrants to contribute to the U.S. economy and society by providing them with a clear pathway to citizenship.