The League of Women Voters of the U.S., the largest grass-roots progressive advocacy and citizen engagement organization in the country, seeks an experienced, passionate development professional to move our national development efforts to the next level. This creative, innovative person will join a dynamic and dedicated development team of four, who are now managing a robust, mature, award-winning direct marketing program, a strong mid-level ($1,000-$5,000) annual donor program and an established bequest society.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan membership organization that has operated at the federal, state and local levels for over 90 years. With nearly 800 local and state affiliates, the League works to improve governance and to increase the public’s engagement with its government. At the national level, League activities are coordinated and staffed by two distinct but complimentary organizations: The League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) and the League of Women Voters Education Fund.
As a member of the senior management team, this position reports directly to Executive Director, and works closely with the President, national Board members, and Development Committee Chair. Responsibilities include:
- Oversight of the fundraising strategies and activities of both the 501c3 and 501c4.
- Develops an annual and long-range plan of major development activities, including budget and estimated income. The plan should be inclusive and address all development activities, even those performed by other departments of the organization. The activities include direct marketing, major donors, planned giving, foundation and corporate giving, government grants, sales, and fees for service.
- Personally leads and participates in identification and direct solicitation of major donors, both unaccompanied and with the President, Executive Director and national Board members.
- Advises senior management and Board members on both general and specific cultivation and solicitation approaches, and assists them where necessary.
- Coordinates with other departments to stay abreast of programmatic activities in order to cooperate in development of communications and "message" documents, and so forth.
- Oversight of proposals and reports to major funders, including preparation of letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, and other materials to prospective funders. This includes both coordination with appropriate staff members and having complete responsibility for certain submissions.
- Supervises, motivates and supports Development Department staff in doing their jobs effectively and efficiently.
- Monitors all fundraising activities, and prepares reports for management and the national Board on the status of such activities and the financial results.
- Serves on the senior management team, and is involved in organization-wide planning.
- Trains and advises local and state League leaders on fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Is responsible for the Annual Report.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree plus 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in nonprofit fundraising, including designing and implementing fundraising and marketing strategies and demonstrated success in major donor solicitation.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with experience in producing a variety of fundraising materials, including proposals, solicitation letters, and reports to donors.
- Direct experience and success in raising funds or in supervising the raising of funds from a variety of sources, such as foundations, corporations, government, and individual donors.
- Energetic, organized team player, with a willingness to be held accountable for producing specific results.
- Progressively responsible, successful experience in leadership roles in organizational settings, especially with volunteers.
- Keeps abreast of relevant developments and changes in the fields of responsibility that affect the organization.
How to apply:
Email: Resume with cover letter and salary requirement to: email@example.com